The Benefits of ClickOnce Application Deployment
If your job description includes the task of administering and maintaining a large number of employee workstations, then you are familiar with the challenges involved with distributing software and ensuring it is kept up to date. Microsoft's ClickOnce deployment technology is a great way to address this problem.
If your job description includes the task of administering and maintaining a large number of employee workstations, then you are familiar with the challenges involved with distributing software and ensuring it is kept up to date. Microsoft®’s ClickOnce deployment technology is a great way to address this problem.
There are three main benefits to a ClickOnce deployment as opposed to a traditional Microsoft installer deployment.
- Automatic updates are performed when an update is loaded on the server. No action is necessary to update each user’s workstation.
- ClickOnce applications are self-contained, meeting all necessary dependencies. This prevents any conflicts with other installed applications on the workstation.
- Traditional Microsoft installers require administrative privileges in order to install the software. ClickOnce does not require this elevated permission.
ClickOnce deployed applications are self-updating and installations can be performed with very little user interaction. For illustrative purposes, consider the two following scenarios typically encountered and how much ClickOnce simplifies the process.
First Time installation:
- Ensure the application’s installation source is accessible to the desired client workstation (website, shared network folder, etc.).
- Send the link to the applications install file (e.g., “MyProgram.application” or URL).
- The user only has to click on the link. The application is then downloaded, installed, and menu/desktop shortcuts are created.
Update to Existing Application
- Updating an existing client is even simpler.
- An updated software package is installed on the server or network path.
- As end users access the software, their local installations will automatically be updated when appropriate.
FICS®' residential origination and servicing software platforms, Loan Producer® and Mortgage Servicer®, utilize the ClickOnce application deployment strategy and are Windows® Presentation Foundation (WPF) client applications.
Drop us a line!
Use our contact form or call us 972.458.8583